Taking a small break from pumpkin desserts, I decided to lighten the pallet with a Vegan Hibiscus Ice Cream. Ice cream is much more than a summer treat. This refreshing dessert is the perfect pick-me-up after a decadent Holiday.
Hibiscus has a naturally tart lemon/berry flavor. When you combine it with creamy coconut milk, it creates a light and tangy treat. One scoop of this delicious dessert will leave you feeling very merry and bright. I hope you enjoy. ;)
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil and add dried hibiscus. Turn water off and steep flowers for 15 minutes.
- Strain the hibiscus water through a fine mesh and return to the saucepan.
- Add in sugar, lemon juice and salt. Bring the liquid to a boil and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally (sugar should be fully dissolved).
- Allow syrup to cool completely.
- Transfer hibiscus syrup into a blender. Add in coconut milk and vodka. Blend well.
- Pour liquid into your ice cream machine bowl, and churn for about 20–25 minutes, or according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serve immediately.
- If you’d like a firmer consistency, transfer into a freezer safe container with lid, and freeze for about two hours to thicken.
note: the hibiscus syrup is a bit tart, so you can start by adding half of the syrup and increase to your desired taste