Creating a Gluten-free Vegan Cupcake has been on my to-do-list for months. With the return to summer and the abundance of fresh fruit, I felt like the timing was just right. Introducing a Vegan Strawberry Cupcake with a Vegan Strawberry Buttercream Frosting.
Two things I have come to rely upon in my baking are 1) eggs and 2) xanthan gum. To make these Vegan, the eggs had to go. Instead, I have used Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda to create a rising effect.
Eggs also play a role as a binder in baking. In an effort to work outside of my comfort zone, I’ve started playing around with different binding methods. Chia seeds, which happen to be fabulous for you, when mixed with liquids create a gelatin substance that is an excellent binder!
Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes
by Laura Friendly
Start to Finish: 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, chia seeds, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a blender, purée strawberries (adding only enough strawberries to equal 1 cup). Add in milk, oil and vinegar. Blend lightly until combined.
- Pour wet mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk together until batter is smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin liners. Bake in the center of a preheated oven, until dome shaped and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. About 21 minutes, depending upon your oven.
- Cool the pan briefly, then gently pop out the cupcakes and continue cooling on a wire rack.
- Once completely cooled, frost the cupcakes and cover in an airtight container. They are best eaten the first day.
Vegan Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
by Laura Friendly
Start to Finish: 10 minutes
- Place soy butter into a large mixing bowl and beat until it is fluffy (using a hand or stand mixer).
- With mixer running slowly, add in 2 cups of powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, and beat until crumbly. Scraping down the sides of the mixer as often as necessary.
- Beat in the strawberry jam, 1 tbsp at a time. Add in remaining powdered sugar, beating slowly, until fully incorporated. Use immediately.