This weeks post, Sweet Potato and Bacon Sliders, is from my Special Man Friend (Jon). Last month, while traveling for work, Jon came across a street vendor making a simple sandwich with bacon and grilled sweet potato. Always on the lookout for tasty Laura Friendly recipes Jon came home and insisted we create our own version.
With very few ingredients, this simple slider is full of flavor. The bacon gives the sandwich a rich salty taste and as the sweet potato cooks, it softens and melts into the baguette creating a creamy texture. Topped with fresh rosemary and spicy mayo, this sandwich is a treat.
- Clean and preheat a grill to medium-high and lightly oil the grates.
- While the grill is heating, peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/4-in thick pieces. note: match the shape/size of the potatoes to the shape/size of the baguettes
- In a mixing bowl, lightly coat sweet potatoes with olive oil and salt. Once the grill is hot lay the potatoes onto the grill grates and cover the grill. Flip the potatoes every few minutes until grill marks form on both sides and the potatoes are soft. Depending on the heat of your grill this could take 15 to 25 minutes.
- When the potatoes are near to done, add the bacon onto the grill. Cook the bacon for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until done. Remove the sweet potatoes and bacon from the grill.
- Lightly coat the cut side of the baguettes with olive oil and place onto the grill. Grill until the baguettes are lightly toasted. Remove from grill.
- In a small bowl, create the spicy mayo by whisking together mayonnaise and Sriracha.
- Assemble sliders: Starting with the bottom baguette, layer sweet potato, bacon, and fresh rosemary. Slather spicy mayo onto the top baguette and fully assemble slider. Cut in two and enjoy!