This past week marked another gathering of my book club, affectionately known as The Yogi Book Club: food, fun, great conversation and perhaps an occasional yoga pose thrown in for good measure. Our book of the month was The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I know… it’s not yoga, but a captivating story just the same, and to be honest, I couldn’t put the darn thing down.
In honor of The Hunger Games, we decided to create dishes that had a freshly-picked feel. My offering, and what I’m sharing today, is the lovely Spring Roll. They are the perfect appetizer and usually a crowd-pleaser, plus they are good for you. Gluten-free, dairy-free and so easy to make, I think this might be something you add into your recipe arsenal. Enjoy!
by Laura Friendly
Start to Finish: 45 minutes
- Cook bean threads or rice noodles according to instructions, drain and cut in half, lengthwise. Set aside.
- Place one spring roll wrap into a bowl of warm water. When the wrap has become pliable and bendy, around 15 seconds, remove from the water and place onto a clean kitchen towel and pat dry.
- Starting on one end of the wrap, place a piece of lettuce. On top of that add a little carrot, bean threads or rice noodles, cilantro and cucumber. Sprinkle with sea salt and roll up the wrap, being sure to fold-in the sides. Continue until all rice wraps have been filled.
- These are best eaten fresh, but can be stored in the refrigerator, in an airtight container, for about 24 hours.
Sweet & Spicy Dipping Sauce
by Laura Friendly
Start to Finish: 15 minutes
- Combine cornstarch and ¼ cup of cold water, mix until cornstarch is dissolved and set aside.
- In a non-stick saucepan, over medium heat, combine 1 cup water and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add in agave, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, pepper, lime juice and bring to a boil, mixing well. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add in cornstarch mixture. Stirring continuously, allow to simmer for about 2 to 5 minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Allow to cool completely, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.