The seasons are starting to change in Michigan. The leaves on the trees are beginning to color and the air is getting cooler. Gone are the days of 90 degree heat and it’s time to pull out sweatshirts and jeans. I love the fall. I must confess I’m not quite ready to let go of the beautiful summer but I still love the fall. The smell of wood fires, the sound of leaves crunching under my feet and pulling out my favorite sweater and cozy Uggs. So I’m thinking a Spicy Tomato Soup is the perfect compliment to our Fallish weather.
This soup is full of flavor from the roasted tomatoes and my secret ingredient (and guilty pleasure) Spicy V8. I’ve mentioned it before but I’ll say it again, I love Spicy V8. Gluten-free and zesty it’s a wonderful treat. If you’re not a fan of V8 feel free to substitute with your favorite tomato juice, this will still taste yummy. Anyway that you choose to make it, I hope it makes you feel warm and toasty as the seasons continue to change!
- In 5 to 6-quart stock pot, heat the vegan margarine over medium-low heat until the butter melts. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir to coat the onion and garlic. Slowly add the broth and whisk to create a roux.
- Add V8, roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, basil, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and mix well. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat while stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Let cool briefly and then purée in two or three batches in a blender.
- Rinse the pot and return the soup to the pot, reheating if necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
note: this soup tastes even better the next day so it’s great to make ahead of time and you can store it in the freezer (in a freezer safe container) for up to three months