With the seasons changing, my appetite has shifted from the cool and refreshing, to the warm and hearty. Spanish Rice is the latest dish craving my attention. Rice, tomatoes, garlic, onions and peppers come together to create something simple and satisfying. This spicy dish will warm you up, from the inside out.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, warm olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in onion, poblano and jalapeño and saute until lightly tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in dry rice and stir frequently until lightly brown.
- In a separate nonstick sauce pan, whisk together water, chicken bouillon, tomato paste and cayenne. Bring to a low boil and transfer rice mixture into the broth. (Or, if you are using a nonstick skillet with a lid, carefully transfer the broth into the skillet. It may splatter, so proceed with caution.)
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes (or according to rice package instructions).
- Turn off the heat, fluff rice and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.