I make an effort to practice everything in moderation, including my desserts. Being vertically challenged (aka: short), my waistline cannot afford to munch on Laura Friendly cupcakes everyday. Instead I have to come up with “healthy” dessert alternatives. Seared Figs & Peaches topped with a Vegan Crème Fraîche, is a quick way to satisfy a sugar craving.
Figs are a delicious fruit that are often overlooked. They have a lovely honey and berry taste that pairs well with salty or tangy foods. Their texture is unusual (soft with a light crunch from their seeds) and they can spoil quickly if not treated with care. Not only are they a great source of calcium, potassium, manganese and fiber, they require little to no work to taste amazing.
Lightly searing the figs and peaches helps caramelize their natural sugar, while maintaining their texture. I like the balance of the tangy Vegan Crème Fraîche because it cuts through the sweetness of the fruit and honey. Finishing with a pinch of fresh thyme, makes this dessert fit for Royalty.
- In a nonstick saute pan, over medium-high heat, add a dab of coconut oil to evenly coat the pan. Place peaches cut side down and sear for 2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Flip the peaches over and sear for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer cooked peaches into the bottom of a baking dish. Continue cooking remaining peaches.
- Add more coconut oil to the pan and place figs, cut side down. Sear for 2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer cooked figs to the baking dish, placing on top of the peaches. Continue cooking remaining figs.
- Reduce heat to low and add 1 tbsp coconut oil and chopped thyme. Cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add in honey and salt and allow to cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently as the honey bubbles up.
- Drizzle honey mixture over cooked peaches and figs. Serve warm, topped with Vegan Crème Fraîche and fresh thyme.