Hawaiian Pineapple Chili. A few weeks ago my work decided to throw a chili cook-off. Still feeling inspired by my Hawaiian Honeymoon I decided to make a Pineapple Chili.
Using salsa as an ingredient is a simple way to create a flavorful meal. Salsa has the perfect combination of onions, peppers, garlic and spice that adds depth and flavor without a lot of hassle. With this thought in mind, I decided using a Pineapple Salsa would be the perfect way to make a quick and easy chili. The tangy sweetness of the salsa and the smokiness of the bacon work together to create a delicious and hearty meal. Enjoy!
- Pre-heat a large non-stick pot over medium heat.
- Add in the diced bacon and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add in ground beef and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle spices (cumin, coriander, chili powder, and a little salt and pepper) over the meat and cook for about 1 minute, stirring continually.
- Add in the pineapple salsa, tomato paste, tomatoes and kidney beans. Stir well and bring chili to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and allow the chili to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with additional chili powder and/or salt and pepper to taste.
note: if you really like big bursts of pineapple, add in additional pineapple chunks at step 6