I love one dish meals, they scream comfort food to me, and since I’m craving a little spice and a little rice, Easy Jambalaya it is. This really is an easy meal to make and if you don’t like shrimp or sausage, this also works well with chicken or tofu.
There are two items I’d like to make a special note of in this jambalaya: First, Al fresco Chicken sausage. This is a wonderful gluten & dairy-free product. They have a variety of flavors to choose from and tonight I used my favorite, Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage. Second, Spicy V8. When used in moderation, this is a great product. It’s gluten-free and it really jazzes up a dish, adding flavor and zest. If you are not a fan of V8 you can sub a different variety of savory tomato juice, but I really enjoy what the Spicy V8 brings to the table.
Hope you enjoy!
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Saute onion, pepper, garlic, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in thyme, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Saute for about 1 minute.
- Stir in sausage, tomatoes, chicken broth, V8, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to low, add in rice and mix well. Cover pot and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Once the rice is tender, turn off the heat, add in shrimp and allow to warm for about 3 minutes before serving.