Twice each year (Thanksgiving and Christmas) I look forward to eating Cranberry Salad. To me, this signifies the Holidays. This easy and tasty recipe was passed down from my Great Aunt, and my family has been making it for decades.
Part of what makes this dish so yummy is the crunchy texture. The fruit and vegetables make every bite interesting. Adding in the celery adds an unexpected flavor twist, that perfectly compliments the cranberries. Besides being simply delicious, this Cranberry Salad is PERFECT for travel. The Jell-O holds everything in place, so it (and you), arrive in style. ;)
May your Holidays be very merry and bright!
- In a food processor, finely chop cranberries. Transfer into a large mixing bowl.
- Continue to finely chop apples, carrots, celery and pecans. Transfer into mixing bowl.
- Add in mandarin oranges and mix well.
- In a small saucepan, boil water and add Jell-O. Stir until Jell-O is completely dissolved.
- Pour Jell-O mixture into the mixing bowl and stir. note: Taste for sweetness. If the salad tastes too tart, add in a little “sugar of choice,” until you reach your desired sweetness.
- Carefully transfer cranberry mixture into a large serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or until the Jell-O is nice and firm.