There are days when all I really want is cake. Chocolate cake to be precise, but I’m not in the mood to bake an entire cake. All I want is one serving (or maybe two), so I won’t be tempted to break my scale the next morning… Insert the Mug Cake (aka: microwave baking).
I must admit microwave baking just sounds outrageous, but I decided to dive into uncharted Laura Friendly baking territory, and give it a shot. I will be honest, the instant gratification made this whole adventure worthwhile. When you only have 10 minutes to spare and you really want cake… you can’t beat this!
So, today I have for you, one personal-sized, gluten-free chocolate cake, with a very tasty peanut butter frosting. The entire thing only takes about 15 minutes to make, and most of that time is just measuring! Enjoy! :)
Gluten-free Chocolate Cake for One (or Two)
by Laura Friendly
Start to Finish: 10 minutes
- Lightly grease a 16-oz. microwave safe mug (or ramekin) with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: gluten-free flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients: egg, coconut oil, applesauce, soy milk and vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients together, whisking until smooth. Pour cake batter into the prepared mug (or ramekin), only filling halfway. If desired, drop a tbsp of peanut butter into the center of the batter, and sprinkle the top with gluten & dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Place the mug (or ramekin) onto a microwave safe plate, and bake in the center of the microwave for 2 to 4 minutes. After 2 minutes, check to see if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick into the center – if it comes out clean, the cake is done. If the toothpick has cake batter on it, bake for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, checking every 30 seconds. note: because the microwave cooks so fast, you can over bake this cake very easily, making the whole experience very dry and unappealing
- Remove the cake from the microwave and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
Peanut Butter Frosting
by Laura Friendly
Start to Finish: 5 minutes
- In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, powdered sugar and soy milk, until the texture is very smooth and creamy.
- Slather onto your microwave cake and dig in!