I love Southern Comfort Food and nothing says Southern Comfort like a biscuit. That savory, crumbly baked good which demands to be warmed and topped with butter.
This is exactly what this weeks delight, Gluten-free, Dairy-free Breakfast Biscuits offer. The traditional biscuit texture plus, bacon, onion, red pepper, garlic and spinach all wrapped up into a tasty package.
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray a muffin tin with vegan cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy milk with lemon juice. Allow to sit for 15 minutes (this becomes a vegan buttermilk).
- In a saute pan, over medium heat, saute red peppers for 5 minutes. Add in spring onion, garlic and bacon, saute for 2 minutes. Add in spinach and saute until wilted. Allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, thyme, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients: vegan buttermilk, oil, eggs and maple syrup.
- Slowly add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to create a thick batter. note: I use my KitchenAid mixer for this step.
- Using a large spatula, fold cooled vegetables, bacon and vegan cheese into the batter.
- Divide batter into oiled muffin tins — they will be quite full. Lightly grease your fingers and gently press/shape the tops of each biscuit.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes, until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center come out clean.
- Allow pan to cool slightly (about 5 minutes), then remove biscuits from tin and cool on a wire rack.
note: Store covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.